Re: Textual LDIF backup strategies for busy LDAP clusters

Dear Quanah,

On 23/06/10 21:46 -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:19 PM +1000 Nick Urbanik <nick.urbanik@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Dear Folks,

our old backup system for our LDAP clusters using slurpd is as
follows:

Just use slapcat.
# du -sh /var/lib/ldap
7.4G	/var/lib/ldap

Slapcatting this lot every 15 minutes is likely to make a machine less
capable of doing other work.

auditlog is not appropriate.

Please can you explain why this is so?

Do you think we are wrong now to be using the replogfile to achieve
what is in effect an incremental textual backup every fifteen minutes?

Can you suggest any reasonable alternative to auditlog of achieving
the ability to reconstruct the LDAP databases from textual LDIF files
losing a maximum of fifteen minutes of data?
--
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 808-71011 nick.urbanik@optusnet.com.au
GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24