OU string representation in openldap

Hello,

One of the our application functionality reads the hosts data from the ldap particularly dn – “ou=hosts, ou=hostdata,o=BT” and from application point this dn will be updated when we add any new hosts in administration tab. In application there is no restriction on the host name to be entered. It can be anything mean it can accept _ (underscore) , (comma) .(dot). But when this code snippet reads this DN and in case if the ou has characters like  . or  , or _  it will throw exception when it reads such dn(s).

We tried changing putting string syntax to this particular attribute and tried but getting the same results.

Is this the expected behavior? And is there a way we can change this behavior?

Many Thanks in advance!!

Regards

Rahul