Re: Scaling bottom-up - best practices?

On Sunday, 6 June 2010 12:50:29 Jan Lühr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for some time now, we're using openldap 2.4.11 on debian lenny and
>  everything is fine - but: We've to scale.
> Up to now our root-dn is dc=abc - our new root-dn ought to be: dc=xyz,
>  having a subtree dc=abc,dc=xyz
> The root-dn is set in some application's configs as base dn, furthermore,
>  it's referenced in ldap-entries (dynamic overlay-groups).

s/root-dn/base DN/g

> Basically I can think of two strategies.
> a) Change the root-dn within the directory and in all applications
>  depending on it (con: error prone - pro: clean result)
> b) Install a new server, proxy all requests to the old instance, removing
> dc=xyz on queries, add dc=xyz on responses. (con: complexity, pro: no
>  changes in apps / Information depending on dc=abc)

Why not do both? Support the transition of configurations to dc=abc,dc=xyz for
(1) by implementing (2)?

Except for the dynamic groups, which I am not sure whether they will work
without extra effort, the complexity of doing the equivalent of a "symlink"
from dc=abc to dc=abc,dc=xyz is relatively trivial. See 'man slapd-relay'

Regards,
Buchan