From: Quanah Gibson-Mount [mailto:quanah@zimbra.com]
Sent: 02 June 2010 20:22
To: Gocher, Mark; openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: RE: Syncrepl - ldap_bind: Invalid credentials error

--On Wednesday, June 02, 2010 4:53 PM +0100 "Gocher, Mark"
<Mark.Gocher.1@city.ac.uk> wrote:

> Thanks again Quanah, you've been very helpful. By a very long way round
> I'd come to the same conclusion. My consumer only knows of the entries in
> the conf file.

> Firstly I don't understand the slapcat part, and didn't see that in the
> documentation, I'll go and look it up.  Secondly on the provider my main
> db is bdb and my accesslog db is hdb. On my provider I just have a bdb
> database in slapd.conf.

slapcat is the supported mechanism for taking a backup of the LDAP database.
slapadd is the supported way to import an LDIF file generated by slapcat
into another LDAP server.  Together, they form the bulk export/import
capabilities of LDAP.

As for your databases, I would suggest using all the same type.  back-hdb
is the preferred database, back-bdb is being phased out.  I would note that
switching backend types will require slapcatting the main database on the
master and then reloading it with slapadd after deleting the old back-bdb
database.

As I said in the prior email, you can force the consumer to reload all data
from the master using the -c option to slapd to reset its cookie.  You may
want to do that just to verify everything replicates as you need.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc