Re: confusing manpage for slapcat for backup

hai wu wrote:
> I have some questions:
>
> When I look at manpage for slapcat from openldap-servers-2.3.27-5 in
> Centos5.0, it says:
>
> LIMITATIONS
>        In general, your slapd(8) should not be running (at least, not
> in read-
>        write mode) when you do this to ensure consistency of the database.
That depends on what database backend you are using, I think that is for
the old ldbm backend, so make sure which one you are using, check the
"database" directive.

> But when I look at its manpage from openldap-servers-2.3.43-3.el5 in
> Centos5.4, it says:
>
> LIMITATIONS
>        For some backend types, your slapd(8) should not be running
> (at  least,
>        not  in  read-write mode) when you do this to ensure
> consistency of the
>        database. It is always safe  to  run  slapcat  with  the
> slapd-bdb(5),
>        slapd-hdb(5), and slapd-null(5) backends.
Probably they introduced bdb and hdb backends, or since that version the
team openldap updated the man page, if unsure read the ChangeLog.

> Question 1: Is it always safe to run slapcat with slapd running even
> for openldap-servers-2.3.27-5 in Centos5?
See fist answer.

> The administration guide for OpenLDAP 2.4 at
> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/maintenance.html explains more on
> this, I quote:
>
> "2. Periodically run slapcat and back up the LDIF file:
>
> Slapcat can be run while slapd is active. However, one runs the risk
> of an inconsistent database- not from the point of slapd, but from the
> point of the applications using LDAP. For example, if a provisioning
> application performed tasks that consisted of several LDAP operations,
> and the slapcat took place concurrently with those operations, then
> there might be inconsistencies in the LDAP database from the point of
> view of that provisioning application and applications that depended
> on it. One must, therefore, be convinced something like that won't
> happen. One way to do that would be to put the database in read-only
> mode while performing the slapcat. The other disadvantage of this
> approach is that the generated LDIF files can be rather large and the
> accumulation of the day's backups could add up to a substantial amount
> of space.
>
> You can use /slapcat/(8) to generate an LDIF file for each of your
> /slapd/(8) back-bdb or back-hdb databases.
>
>     slapcat -f slapd.conf -b "dc=example,dc=com"
>

> For back-bdb and back-hdb, this command may be ran while slapd(8) is
> running."
>
> Question 2: Is the above also true for openldap-servers-2.3.27-5 in
> Centos5?
fist question :).

> Question 3: How to put the database in read-only mode while performing
> the slapcat? Is there anyone who's doing this just to make sure for
> consistent backup?

You can always read the slapd man page for more options.