Re: forgotten rootdn psw

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 08:06:23AM -0400, Francis, Steve (IHG) wrote:

> ok...So i'm an ID10T!!  LOL.  But seriously, I setup an OpenLdap server
> and migrated /etc/passwd to it, and all is well: however, I did that
> months ago, and you guessed it, somehow I'm having a "senior" moment,
> and can't remember the psw for the rootdn, so that I can add another
> user to the Ldap server. I'm sure there is probably a way to decode the
> "hashed/encrypted" password.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I
> really don't want to have to delete everything and start again, but if
> that's what I must do, then so be it.

There is no way to decrypt the hashed password short of doing a
brute-force dictionary attack on it. That is the whole point of
hashing it.

You do not need to delete the data. Just generate a new hashed
password (use slappasswd) and put it into the slapd.conf file with a
text editor. Restart slapd and all is well.

Andrew