OpenLDAP client configuration with CentOS 5.3

Hi All,
          We have a dedicated LDAP server and I would like to configure OpenLDAP client in our linux boxes running on centOS 5.3.
I have installed openldap client and changed /etc/openldap/ldap.conf with folllowing info

BASE    dc=my, dc=net
URI     ldap://10.122.12.13

But when I try to run ldapsearch, I get following error

SASL/EXTERNAL authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Unknown authentication method (-6)
        additional info: SASL(-4): no mechanism available:

The objective is anybody having ldap id can login to linux box. At present, I am manually creating individual ids which we want to integrate with LDAP authentication.
I would appreciate your help

- RB