Brining up replication with an already live server?

I have two DSAs of the same version (2.4.20).  One is empty and the
other is stand-alone.  I want to configure multi-master;  can I add the
syncrepl directives to the live server and then bring up the other
server and add the syncrepl directives - will the second server then
syncronize with the live server (which already contains configuration,
etc...).  Or do I need to start with two empty DSAs?

Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
OpenGroupware, Cyrus IMAPd, Postfix, Samba