Re: OpenLDAP 2.4 replicated to 2.3?

--On Wednesday, February 10, 2010 01:56:46 AM +0100 Jakov Sosic <jakov.sosic@srce.hr> wrote:

Hi to all!

I've set up Zimbra LDAP (2.4) as master, and I want to use RHEL v5 LDAP
(2.3) as a slave. This is relevant part of my slapd.conf on LDAP 2.3:

This won't work.  The format of the contextCSN changed between 2.3 and
2.4.  A 2.3 replica does not have the code in it to normalize the
differences.  The only supported 2.3/2.4 replica that is support is
with a 2.3.43 master and a later version of 2.4.  In the early
versions of 2.4 there was a problem with comparison of the two
contextCSN formats.  Not sure exactly which version fixed the problem,
but by 2.4.19 it was working.

Bill

--
Bill MacAllister, System Software Programmer
Unix Systems Group, Stanford University

# syncrepl directives
syncrepl  rid=101
	provider=ldap://192.168.1.86
	bindmethod=simple
	binddn="uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra"
	credentials=PASSword
	searchbase="dc=company,dc=com"
	schemachecking=on
	type=refreshAndPersist
	retry="60 +"
	syncdata=accesslog
# Refer updates to the master
updateref		ldap://192.168.1.86

Replication works OK, when I first start LDAP, it populates
automatically. But after that initial data, it just doesn't pull
anything anymore. I have to restart it, or it won't pull data from
Master :( Problem is, when I add user to Zimbra LDAP (master), it does
not propagate immediately data to slave LDAP. I don't even know what the
interval is, I've never seen it happen in a few minutes after the Master
LDAP is updated...

Am I missing something? Shouldn't "refreshAndPersist" do it without any
delay (or with minimal delay)? Should I run someting on zimbra LDAP
side, or is the sync from LDAP 2.4 to LDAP 2.3 impossible? Would it be
better to set something like:

type=refreshOnly
interval=00:00:00:01

but this just seems like a bruteforce to me :( I repeat, after I restart
slave LDAP, all the new enteries appear magically.

I'm really confused.

Ideas?