Renaming of attributes in ldap schema

Hello,

I have a general ldap question: I would like to use ldap as
configuration store for my applications. Each application gets his own
object schema, since then the number properties is deterministic.

Since a number of developers are involved, I try to generate the
schema definition from a ruby DSL. I am now thinking about what
happens to existing entries in the dit if the oids or names of the
attribute definitons has changed? Are they invalid after ldap server
restart? Would you recommend not to renaming any elements in the
schema?

I have seen that the attributes on existing entries disappeared if I
change the name in the schema.

Regards,

Thilko