deprecated function ldap_sort_entries, ldap_sort_values, ldap_sort_strcasecmp

Hello,
using openldap 2.4.17

I'm fixing obsolete things in my old application, e.g. removed some extern
statements. When building I got

xxx.c:790: error: 'ldap_sort_strcasecmp' undeclared (first use
in this function)

After further investigation I discovered this

http://www.mail-archive.com/openldap-devel@openldap.org/msg01517.html

quote:

"	ldap_sort_entries
	ldap_sort_values
	ldap_sort_strcasecmp

	of which Net::LDAPapi only uses ldap_sort_entries.

	Is there a replacement function for this?  If not, any thoughts on what
	the steps are to duplicate that functionality?

	So no one else knows what these functions do either? ;)

	Well, functions tend to get deprecated due to neglect. If nobody has ever
	used them thus far.....

	  -- Howard Chu"

Well, seems I know what these function do, I used it to sort set of values
of the retrieved attribute ( char ** ), specifying function, which is
to be used for sorting. The form of call was (is)

ldap_sort_values( LDAP * ldc, char ** vals, ( fn & ) ldap_sort_strcasecmp);

The idea was, that when I got attribute values set like

attrName: /abc/xyz
attrName: /abc/x/nnnn
attrName: /abc
attrName: /abc/xyz/u/m

numericAttrName: 10
numericAttrName: 5
numericAttrName: 123

I need to process it in some resonable order, according to application
needs, it was easier to use library functions than create my own's.

I denoted these with ' //LDAP_SORT_AV_CMP_PROC *cmp ', but don't remember
was I meant, must have been about 3 years ago.

Any suggestions? Shall I create my own function to sort retrieved values,
or use some server control?

AFAIR one has no influence on the order, in which  attribute values are
PUT into the entry, but when it comes to use it, it is important to be
sure, that there's NO variable of value "7" processed before value "10"

ldap_sort (3)        - LDAP sorting routines (deprecated)
ldap_sort_entries (3) - LDAP sorting routines (deprecated)
ldap_sort_strcasecmp (3) - LDAP sorting routines (deprecated)
ldap_sort_values (3) - LDAP sorting routines (deprecated)

Regards,
DT

--
http://dtpw.pl/buell [ 25th anniversary of Buell - American Motorcycles ]
Linux aleft 2.6.27.29-0.1_lustre.1.8.1.1-default #1 SMP