Finding a provider to write to

Hi all,

Although I've figured out the basics of synchronization between providers and consumers, I'm not yet clear about one aspect from the client's perspective.

In particular, if you've set up an LDAP consumer server with a synchronized, read-only copy of the DIT to service a particular group of clients, and you've configured those clients* to use that consumer server for all of their directory queries, how do those clients know where to find the correct provider in case it becomes necessary for them to write to the DIT (e.g. to change a password)?

Thanks,

Jaap

*) With the URI option in /etc/ldap/ldap.conf