Re: Two index questions

--On Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:52 PM +0100 Jaap Winius <jwinius@umrk.nl> wrote:

Hi all,

Today I have two questions involving indexing. First, my understanding is
that if a new index has been added to slapd.conf, it won't be used until
slapd is stopped, slapindex is run and slapd is started again. However,
if there aren't any entries yet in the database that carry a new
attribute to be indexed, then there's actually nothing to index. Also,
the man page for it states that "Slapindex is used to  regenerate
slapd(8) indices based upon the current contents of a database." Could
this also be a hint that slapindex does need relevant data to process
before it can produce any indices? I expect to be wrong about this, but
I'd rather be sure.

Second, regarding consumers, if a new index is added to a provider, does
the same index also have to be added and (re)generated with slapindex on
its consumers before it will be available there as well? I would expect
so, but again, I'm not completely certain.

slapindex only needs to be run if the attribute already exists with data. Also, OpenLDAP 2.4, if you are using the config database instead of slapd.conf, can background the index generation task.

And yes, if you want the replicas to index the data, you need to add it to each of them.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc