ldap search filters and groups..

First, can anyone recommend a good link or book on ldap search filters?  I have a few books on LDAP ("Deploying OpenLDAP" from Apress and the O'reilly LDAP book) and they devote less than a page to the topic. There doesn't seem to be a ton of info on the Google about it either. What am I overlooking?

What I'm trying to do is create a search filter so when I search a certain tree for all DNs the result will return only DNs that are members of a certain "groupOfNames" group.  Is that possible?

thanks!