Re: Checkpointing and syncrepl

--On Wednesday, July 08, 2009 11:27 AM -0500 John Kane <john.kane@prodeasystems.com> wrote:

I am a bit confused with the difference between the slapd.bdb
'checkpoint' option and the syncprov overlay option
'syncprov-checkpoint'.  On the provider, will these basically do the
same thing?  If so, is there an advantage to using one over the other?

Also, should we do checkpointing on the consumers as well?

They are not the same thing, thus the reason they have different names. The slapd BDB checkpoint is how often all data is checkpointed to the underlying database. You should have this set on every single BDB database.

The syncprov-checkpoint is how often the current syncprov overlay CSN is checkpointed to the underlying database. You should always have this set on a syncprovider.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc