Re: How to backup/restore on remote servers

Josir Gomes wrote:
> Hi J. Bakshi, thanks for replying.
>
> I followed your suggestion:
>
> 1. Stop the LDAP/Samba service.
> 2. TAR the /var/lib/ldap and copy to another machine
> 3. Turn off the first server
> 4. Turn on the second server (identical network, IP, configuration -
> it's a VM clone)
> 5. mv /var/lib/ldap /var/lib/ldap-bak
> 6. Untar the /var/lib/ldap
> 7. I certified that user/permissions were identical (openldap:openldap)
> 7. Turn the samba/ldap server on.
>
> When I try to access the users via web interface (ebox), I got a
> complete machine halt :((
> Even tty stopped to work.
>
> PS: I did not copy the slapd.conf because they were identical.
>
> Probably some configuration is missing.
> Does somebody have any glue on how to copy an entire LDAP
> database/configuration ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Josir Gomes

Assume both the machine have same ldap version running as well as the
same linux distro. The solution I have provided is basically a restore
solution but should work in case of replication too if both the machine
are identical w.r.t software. Before going to web-interface do some CLI
test.  Have you check users by ldapsearh ? confirm first that the  ldap
has been replicated  properly.  Do some CLI  based test.  See the log by
" tail -f " .