slapd-config(5) Disaster Recovery - Best Practices?

Hi,

I am considering migrating from a monolithic slapd.conf file to the newer DIT slapd-config(5).

My primary concern is how to recover if a dynamic change brings down slapd so it becomes difficult to recover since the configuration is in a database and slapd will not start.

Is it as simple as making a slapcat backup of the configuration database (or some other backup of the configuration database that resides in the slapd.d directory) prior to making changes so that a roll-back would consist of replacing the contents of the slapd.d directory? Or is there some other recovery method that is preferred?

Thanks,
Ken