Re: OpenLDAP support for DIT Structure Rules

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Michael Ströder wrote:

> James Lentini wrote:
> > The OpenLDAP FAQ
> >  http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?_highlightWords=structure&file=1474
> >
> > and TODO file
> >  http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/doc/devel/todo?hideattic=1&sortbydate=0
> >
> > indicate that OpenLDAP does not currently support DIT Structure Rules.
> > Is this correct?
>
> Yes, that's correct. What are your requirements?
>
> Ciao, Michael.

Thanks for confirming the current state.

I'm working on a proposal in the IETF that uses LDAP to store file
system namespace information:

 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-01.txt

Our schema is sprinkled throughout Section 6. In Section 6.3 we define
two LDAP objects, the FSN and FSL (the exact schema definitions in the
current draft have some typos that will be cleaned up in the next
version).

An FSN is intended to be superior to its FSLs in a DIT. I was
considering including DIT Structure Rules in the draft as a way to
enforce this arrangement. However, I'm not inclined to do this if
popular LDAP implementations, such as OpenLDAP, don't support them.

If there is a standard, well supported mechanisms for enforcing DIT
structure, I'd be interested to know about it.

-james