[Date Prev][Date Next]
Recommendations for adding "MUST" attribute to in-production objectclass?
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Recommendations for adding "MUST" attribute to in-production objectclass?
- From: Christopher DeMarco <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 16:47:30 -0400
- Content-disposition: inline
- User-agent: Mutt/1.5.18 (2008-05-17)
I have a custom schema, which defines an objectclass to which all of
my "users" belong. I'd like to add a required ("MUST") attribute to
that objectclass, but I'm frightened of destroying my users :-)
Is the following procedure safe?
1. Add the desired attribute as optional ("MAY") to the
objectclass in my schema. Restart slapd.
2. Apply an LDIF change to every node with that particular
objectclass, setting that new attribute to some acceptable
3. Ensure that my "create a new user" tools will set that
4. Change my schema to require ("MUST") that attribute within
that objectclass. Restart slapd.
If not, what is the safe procedure?
Is there a better way of adding a required attribute to an
Christopher DeMarco <email@example.com>