Re: ldapadd: Invalid syntax (21)

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 05:43:34PM +0200, François Mehault wrote:

> Enter LDAP Password:
> adding new entry "dc=toto,dc=fr"
> ldapadd: Invalid syntax (21)
>         additional info: objectClass: value #1 invalid per syntax

So the first value of the objectClass attribute is bad.

> The content of my test.ldif :
> dn: dc=toto,dc=fr
> objectClass: dcObject
> objectClass: organizationUnitName
> ou: test
> dc: toto

> Why I can't add my ldif ? If someone can help me, thanks
> If I put organisation instead of organisationalUnit in my ldif, it works ! (and o instead ou of course)

In the LDIF you quote, the value giving trouble is probably
'organizationUnitName' - it should be:

Note the American spelling (z not s), and the fact that the objectclass
defines the type. 'organizationalUnitName' is an attribute name, and is
usually expressed as 'ou' in any case.