Integration

Hello,

I have a technical hurdle to overcome and I'm hoping openldap is the answer.

I have contacts in a sql db, I'm wanting to make them available in outlook, blackberries, and other clients such as thunderbird. What I'm currently thinking is to setup an openldap server and import the data into that.

I'm not expecting much trouble getting the data into LDAP. But how much effort/time is normally involved in the actual implementation of hooking these devices/applications to an openldap directory so non-technical users can use it? If anyone else has done this, how did it go? Has it been 'quirky'?

I've read over the FAQ and what google offers, it seems mostly dealing with overcoming specific technical issues, I haven't found much on how well it works overall.

Thank you for your time,
 - Adrien