Re: Context CSN not updated on OpenLDAP 2.3.11

On Thursday 16 April 2009 14:18:13 Adrien Futschik wrote:
> Le jeudi 16 avril 2009 14:04:44, Michael Ströder a écrit :
> > Adrien Futschik wrote:
> > > I am aware I should migrate, but for the moment, the only solution I
> > > have would be to migrate to OpenLDAP 2.3.32,
> >
> > Why? Please don't take this personally. But if that is because you
> > strictly rely on Linux distribution packages I'd like to note that your
> > operational concept is already flawed.
>
> Because the client I am working for uses source-compiled versions of
> OpenLDAP and is curently running 2.3.11 or 2.3.32. There is no newer
> package for the moment.

It should be almost no effort to build packages of 2.3.43 if you have packages
of 2.3.32 ... depending on how you build them.

> We are working on a OpenLDAP 2.4.16 or newer,  but,
> production is critical and we can not wait for this one to be released (by
> our team).
>
> I know very well that many changes have been made between 2.3.11 and the
> latest 2.3.x and even between 2.3.32 and the latest 2.3.x, but we can not
> afford to migrate to 2.4.x right now.
>
> > See also:
> > http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1456.html
> >
> > At my customers I normally have a build system matching the system in
> > production where I can compile and test OpenLDAP, SASL and BDB myself
> > installing into a separate prefix. Given that VMware machines are pretty
> > cheap to set up this is feasible today even if you have various i386 OS
> > running in production.
>
> The project that is using OpenLDAP 2.3.11 is running Solaris 10 SPARC from
> source.
>
> > > Is it possible to use a newer version of OpenLDAP as slave ? ie. Could
> > > I use OpenLDAP 2.3.11 as master and OpenLDAP 2.3.32 a slave for a while
> > > ?
>
> I have justed tested it. OpenLDAP 2.3.11 as master and OpenLDAP 2.3.32 as
> slave : it WORKS. The question is, is it reliable ?

Well, the contextCSN disappearing from the master most likely won't change if
you keep running the same code on the master, so I doubt this will help you.

Regards,
Buchan