slapd won't run as service

I've installed, configured and run OpenLDAP on my server. However, if I try
to run it as a service using "service ldap start" it doesn't run. Also, the
configuration file step returns "OK" as does the starting slapd step. I've
narrowed it down to the fact that if slapd is run as user root things work
just fine. I've already done "chown -R ldap:ldap /var/lib/ldap" but that
doesn't seem to help. Here is the output I see when trying to run as user
ldap:

slapd startup: initiated.
bdb_db_open: dc=edwaa,dc=com
bdb_db_open: dbenv_open(/var/lib/ldap)
bdb(dc=edwaa,dc=com): Invalid log file: log.0000000001: No such file or
directory
bdb(dc=edwaa,dc=com): PANIC: No such file or directory
bdb(dc=edwaa,dc=com): PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
recovery
bdb_db_open: dbenv_open failed: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
recovery (-30978)
backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (-30978)
slapd shutdown: initiated
====> bdb_cache_release_all
bdb(dc=edwaa,dc=com): DB_ENV->lock_id_free interface requires an environment
configured for the locking subsystem
slapd shutdown: freeing system resources.
bdb(dc=edwaa,dc=com): txn_checkpoint interface requires an environment
configured for the transaction subsystem
bdb_db_destroy: txn_checkpoint failed: Invalid argument (22)
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!