Symbol problem with 2.4.13

AIX 5.3, OpenLDAP 2.4.13, BDB 4.6.21.3

Previously I emailed the list about symlinking libldap.so to libldap_r.so. For OpenLDAP 2.4.11 this worked perfectly. I have built 2.4.13 with the exact same options and now I get the following error from ldapsearch after symlinking:

Could not load program ldapsearch:
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol ldap_derefresponse_free was referenced
      from module ldapsearch(), but a runtime definition
            of the symbol was not found.
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol ldap_parse_derefresponse_control was referenced
      from module ldapsearch(), but a runtime definition
            of the symbol was not found.
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol ldap_create_deref_control_value was referenced
      from module ldapsearch(), but a runtime definition
            of the symbol was not found.

Is this a problem with lazy runtime resolution or did something library-wise change in this version?

Or, am I just being an idiot and missing something obvious?

Cheers,
Bill