RE: LDAP + SSH + Key Auth

May not be relevant, but...

Are your servers mounting a centralized storage for user's homes? If so,
then they'll really only need to setup a key once from their desktop,
and if you put users in groups that relate to the servers, then you can
control which groups of users get to what servers by the AllowGroups
directive in sshd_config.

Of course, it all depends on the pattern of access:
* single desktop to many automounting servers - above works good.
* many to many - it gets annoying...

HTH,
-C