Re: bindpw and SSHA

On Friday 26 September 2008 11:08:32 Nick Kasparidis wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a small problem setting up my ldap client.
>
> The issue comes from trying to force authenticated queries. So I have
> set the following lines in my slapd.conf
>
> disallow        bind_anon
> require         authc
>
> on the client side I have added the following lines to my ldap.conf
>
> binddn cn=manager,dc=domain,dc=com
> bindpw {SSHA}<the hash>

A simple bind requires that the client has the *cleartext* password.

What documentation that you read made you believe you could use a hash?

Are you aware of what a hash is? The whole point of a hash is to be a one-way
test. Allowing the "cleartext" has to be a password equivalent would defeat
the purpose of the hash.

If you don't want cleartext, you can use a SASL method. But, the SASL methods
still require a secret to be available on the client side ... (private key,
Kerberos keytab etc.).

Regards,
Buchan