Auth issues with openldap proxy to AD

   I am having some issues with authentication with an openldap proxy to AD.  When I query the user I am able to get back the userPassword attribute and everything looks to be correct.  I can “su username” and it works properly, but when I attempt to “ssh user@localhost” it will not accept the password.  The password is stored as {crypt}.   I am trying to pin point whether this is a PAM issue or an ldap issue.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.