From: Pierangelo Masarati [mailto:ando@sys-net.it]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:12 AM
To: Lynn York
Cc: openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: LDAP proxy for AD

Lynn York wrote:
> When I issue "id user" from the client machine I can see the connection to
> the proxy server, but I do not see the connection from the proxy to the AD
> server.  It also binds anonymously through the proxy and I need it to bind
> with a certain user.
>
> [ SNIPPET  FROM slapd.conf ]
>
> database        ldap
> suffix          "dc=ldaptest,dc=local"
> uri             "ldap://2008vm1.inetu.net";
>
> acl-bind        bindmethod=simple
>                 binddn="CN=Bind User,CN=Users,DC=ldaptest,DC=local"
>                 credentials="testing"
>
> idassert-bind   bindmethod=simple
>                 authzID="u:bind"
>                 mode=self
>                 binddn="CN=Bind User,CN=Users,DC=ldaptest,DC=local"
>                 credentials="testing"

First of all, authzID is only useful if "mode" is not given, as
specified in the man page; it's ignored in your case.

Second, the idassert-bind directive is only honored if the user
authenticates, while your application is probably binding anonymously to
the proxy.

If you want idassert to work also for anonymous operations (not
recommended, as this defeats the security model of the remote server, by
letting it believe that the proxy authenticated users while it didn't),
you need to explicitly enable it using an idassert-authzFrom rule that
includes anonymous, like

idassert-authzFrom "dn.regex:.*"

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati