Re: ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

> Kristen, please stay on the mailing list you started the thread. Don't
> e-mail me solely personally.

Sorry about that.
> Kristen Walker wrote:
>> Thanks for your help.  I can't seem to be able to start the server with the
>> -d flag.  Here is what I tried:
>>  su root -c /usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 65535
>> I also tried:
>>  su root -d 65535 -c /usr/local/libexec/slapd
>> And it complains in both cases that -d is an invalid option.
> Using -d works for me. Which version of OpenLDAP is this?
> Can you post any output it produces?

I am using openldap-2.3.39 on Ubuntu.

Here is the output:

 su root -d 65535 -c /usr/local/libexec/slapd
su: invalid option -- d
Usage: su [options] [LOGIN]

  -c, --command COMMAND         pass COMMAND to the invoked shell
  -h, --help                    display this help message and exit
  -, -l, --login                make the shell a login shell
  -m, -p,
  --preserve-environment        do not reset environment variables, and keep
                                the same shell
  -s, --shell SHELL             use SHELL instead of the default in passwd

Kristen Walker

Digital Media Resources Developer
Instructional Media Services
Santa Barbara County Education Office
4400 Cathedral Oaks Road
P.O. Box 6307
Santa Barbara, CA 93160-6307
(805)964-4711 ext. 5244/FAX (805)683-3597