Re: Creating a "big" database... large LDIF file. automated procedure?

Thanks Quanah... finally got a chance to use MakeLDIF, and was successful
in creating a large LDIF file.  An LDIF file with 1M entries is almost
600MB!

Incase others are interested, here's what i did to create this file...

The MakeLDIF tool is located at slamd/tools/MakeLDIF.  I used the template
they provided (example.template) to create my LDIF file.  It creates a file
with X entries (specified at the top of the template), with each entry
containing random data.

To create an LDIF file with 1,000,000 entriesâ
   Download slamd-2.0.0-alpha1.zip from http://www.slamd.com/download.shtml
   Extract all files (to a new folderâ doesnât matter where)
   Modify the âdefine numusersâ value in
   slamd/tools/MakeLDIF/example.template to be 1000000 (define
   numusers=1000000)
   Open a command prompt, cd to slamd/tools/MakeLDIF, and enter the
   following:
java -jar MakeLDIF.jar -t example.template -o example.ldif

When processing completes, youâll have an âexample.ldifâ file in
slamd/tools/MakeLDIF that contains 1,000,000 entries.

Thanks again

             Quanah
             Gibson-Mount
             <quanah@zimbra.co                                          To
             m>                        Brad T
                                       Waldorf/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS,
             07/11/2008 12:00          openldap-technical@openldap.org

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Creating a "big" database...
                                       large LDIF file.  automated
                                       procedure?

--On Friday, July 11, 2008 11:39 AM -0400 Brad T Waldorf
<bwaldorf@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi again.  Thanks again for your responses to my prior posts.
>
> So far, all of my experience with OpenLDAP has been with databases with a
> minimal number of entries... 200 at the most.  I'd like to do some
> performance experiments with a much larger database, say 10,000 database
> entries or so.  What would you recommend for creating such a database?
> (Entries don't have to have real, sensible data... maybe the
distinguished
> name is an integer that increases by 1?)  Is there an automated way for
> creating such a database?

The MakeLDIF tool with slamd.  And 10k entries is not large. :)  I've
routinely tested 1M+, and that's small these days for a number of places.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc