Re: Client says Can't contact LDAP server, but it can!

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 09:20:23AM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> Or, ensure that the "CA certificate" that the clients use contains the
> certificates of the issuer of both of the server certificates, and that the
> value of the subject CN on both certificates matches the name you use to
> connect to the servers.

I've tried:

openssl req -newkey rsa:1024 -x509 -nodes -out server.pem -keyout
server.pem -days 3650

That should create a file with keys and certs all in one, right?  No
possible misunderstanding about which is where.

For the OU, I put the domain name.  I have also tried using the FQDN in
a few variations.

For the CN, I put the FQDN.

I pointed TLSCertificateFile, TLSCertificateKeyFile, and
TLSCACertificateFile at that file in slapd.conf, and restarted the LDAP
service.

And it doesn't work.

On my test client, ldap.conf has:

host 10.99.16.7
base dc=mydomain,dc=com
url ldaps://unix-services2.mydomain.com:636
timelimit 120
bind_timelimit 120
idle_timelimit 3600
ssl yes
tls_cacertdir /etc/openldap/cacerts
tls_checkpeer no
pam_password md5

If I change the "host" and "url" to the other LDAP server, it works
perfectly.

On the working server, in slapd.conf I have:

TLSCertificateFile /etc/ssl/ldap.pem
TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/openldap/ssl/ldap.pem
TLSCACertificateFile /etc/ssl/ldap.pem

Those files were created with:

openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -out /etc/ssl/ldap.pem -keyout
/etc/openldap/ssl/ldap.pem -days 3650

I created a second set of keys with that line on the non-working server
in the same directories (/etc/ssl and /etc/openldap/ssl).  That didn't
work either.

On both servers, I can do:

openssl s_client -connect localhost:636 -showcerts

And get identical results (except for the FQDNs, of course, and the
jumble of characters in the certificate).

On a client pointed to the non-working server:

[root@localhost ~]# ldapsearch -x
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1

Supposedly, that means "it works", even though it doesn't.  I don't know
what to make of that.

I just don't know where to go from here.  I've created certificates over
and over and over again.  Even if by accident, I'd have had to have done
it right at least once.  On the other server, I did it once, and it
worked.

It looks like there must be some other variable... a config file,
something, that has something else to do with this.