Re: Client says Can't contact LDAP server, but it can!

Sean Burford wrote:
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 8:30 AM, John Oliver<joliver@john-oliver.net> wrote:
What can I do to troubleshoot this?  OpenLDAP client says
ldap_simple_bind Can't contact LDAP server but it can resolve the name,
ping the server, connect to port 636... and I have no details as to why
it thinks it cannot contact the server.  Many other clients authenticate
to the same server, and I'm using the same ldap.conf, nsswitch.conf, and
pam.d/system-auth files.

Apart from seeing configurations and command lines, I have found the full output of the openssl client to be useful for diagnosing my own ldaps issues: echo | openssl s_client -debug -showcerts -connect SERVER:636 2>&1 | tee /tmp/ssl.log

The openssl client connects to the server and negotiates SSL.  Along
the way it verifies the certificate path.  If it encounters an error,
it usually gives a useful error message.

Just use -d1 on ldapsearch and you'll get the OpenSSL diagnostic messages.

--
  -- Howard Chu