Re: Newbie OpenLDAP woes

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:21 -0700, Kristen Walker wrote:
> I am confused about how I have an empty dn.  I am including my ldap.conf and
> slapd.conf as well as the ldif file I imported via the command line.
>
> >From what I can see, I have defined a suffix in slapd.conf.  I imported
> basics.ldif with the command:
>
> Sudo slapadd -v -f /etc/ldap/salpd.conf -l basics.ldif
You should first run the slapd and then add the basics.ldif using
ldapadd.

> When I executed the command it seemed to do the import fine.
>
> The other thing I don't understand is what the password is for root DN
> (cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com).  To me it seems like the password is
> "secret" but when I type that in it rejects those credentials, so I am very
> confused as to what I am supposed to type in for a password.  The only way I
> can seem to connect is by leaving the password out and connecting via an
> anonymous bind.

The set the password , run the command slappasswd and it would prompt
you for a password. It will returned the hashed result which you need to
copy to you slapd.conf .

Eg.

$ slappasswd

New password:
Re-enter new password:
{SSHA}Iq7/biIQnXZI7XVuqI40jlE1RgQUVPLr

The above hashed password is to be now copied to slapd.conf

rootpw {SSHA}Iq7/biIQnXZI7XVuqI40jlE1RgQUVPLr

Then restart the slapd and add the ldif using ldapadd command.

Follow the example in this link :

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch31_:_Centralized_Logins_Using_LDAP_and_RADIUS

Thanks
Sambuddho