Re: slapd[26189]: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files

On Wednesday 11 June 2008 12:39:24 Andreas Moroder wrote:
> Quanah Gibson-Mount schrieb:
> > --On June 11, 2008 10:40:27 AM +0200 Andreas Moroder
> >
> > <andreas.moroder@sb-brixen.it> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> today a client to connect via ftp to our server ( SLES 9 ) and I got
> >> this error:
> >>
> >> slapd[26189]: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files
> >
> > This is a long standing and well known problem with using tcpwrappers.

Is there any information available on this known problem? Historically, we've
shipped OpenLDAP built with tcp_wrapper support, but I've been wanting to
change that, some motivation would make it easier.

> > I assume you are using a 32-bit OS?  This can be resolved by moving to
> > 64-bits and upping the limits available, IIRC.
> >
> > --Quanah
>
> Hello Quanah,
>
> it is a 32 bit SLES 9 system.
> slapd itself runs as a service and not via inetd.

inetd is only one service that uses tcp_wrappers. It seems your slapd is build
with tcp_wrapper support.

You could consider building your slapd without tcp_wrapper support.

> The process started just before this error was the ftp server that gets
> called very often.
> Would it be a good idea to start this as a service and would this
> modification solve the problem ?

This should have no effect.

Regards,
Buchan