RE: Delete contents of LDAP Database

Just after writing this, I seem to have found my answer with a properly
crafted ldapdelete command:

ldapdelete -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=emea,dc=corp,dc=local" -w password -r
"dc=root,dc=com"
However, If I try and query openldap (anonymously) while the delete is
happening, the ldapdelete command starts outputting:

ldap_search: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
        additional info: internal error

As well as causing my LDAP client to return errors (other than the
expected "no results").
Any idea why this is happening?
Do I need to do something special before I start a recursive delete to
allow normal LDAP requests to still function (even if they return
nothing).

Thank you,

Chris