DHCP breaks LDAP?

On two RHEL4u5 lab machines, LDAP authentication stopped working.  The
only thing that was done was DHCP was enabled on a
previously-unconfigured interface.  That messed up ntpd.conf, so I know
that weird stuff was going on.  Anyway, all attempts to log in with an
LDAP user result in ldap_simple_bind: Can't contact LDAP server
However, the machines can ping the LDAP server, and nmap shows 389 and
636 as open.  /etc/ldap.conf has not changed.  /etc/nsswitch.conf has
not changed.  I ran "authconfig" and the server line was empty, so I
filled it in.  No dice.

I am completely stumped.