Re: Just su doesn't work

On Thu, 8 May 2008, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?AlexanDER Franca?= wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Sorry for my english...
>
> So... I have installed OpenLDAP and nss_ldap. I'm using Slackware 12.
>
> All works fine, I can search, add... getent works for passwd and group, etc.
>
> But if I run 'su - username', the 'username' is found but seems password
> never work. I receive a 'Sorry' from su.
>
> If I'm root and run 'su - username', all works fine... I become
> 'username' with my home directory, etc (id command show 'username'
> informations right too).

I think, all distributions do it differently, that's also the reason why
noone here could help me with my problem(s) under Debian (now I've got
most of them resolved in the meantime). I have no idea about Slackware,
so, just speaking from the Debian point of view, and hoping, your case
will not be very different.

Look under /etc/pam.d/. There you see configuration files for various
services, including su, login, ssh, etc. If you look into those files (at
least on Debian) they all have lones like

@include common-auth
@include common-account
@include common-session

So, here I only had to modify those three common files, and then all
services worked automatically. So, that's where I would look - whether
"su" includes all those three files (if Slackware does it similarly), and
if it looks similar enough to other files. Nothing concrete, sorry.

Regards
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.