Numerical result out of range ... not solvable !

Hi guys,

I am setting up a centralized authentication server using openLDAP
without TLS/SSL. I added the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow entries, an
looked them up using:
$ldapsearch -x  -D "uid=user1,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com"  -w user1
"(objectclass=*)"
where user1 is the password of the user user1, and i got all the
entries. I also configured pam so that it uses pam_ldap. However, when
i use the command su to switch to user1 ( which i commented out from
/etc/passwd/) i get a message telling me that the user does not exist.
Running slapd in the debugging mode i notice an errno=34 "Numerical
result out of range". I googled it and found that this can be solved
by adding the directives sockbuf_max_incoming and
sockbuf_max_incoming_auth. I added the directives and tried with many
values like 1234567, 999999, 9999999 for each of the them, still,  i
am getting the same error message. What else can i do to get rid of
this error ?!