ldapsearch returns Could not create LDAP session handle (3): Time limit exceeded

We upgraded some client servers from RedHat ES3U4 to Redhat ES4U2 and now
the ldapsearch string we used in our monitoring software to check if the
customers openldap server is working is returning errors.

We were using:

ldapsearch -x -H ladps://host.domain.com:636

Which worked find with the open ldap-client on redhat 3 (I do not no the
version number) but in redhat 4 openldap-clients 2.2.13-3 we get the error
"Could not create LDAP session handle (3): Time limit exceeded" immediately.
Ldap is working our application authenticates users it is just the
ldapsearch we are using to monitor the service which seems to not be
working.

Does anyone see anything wrong with the line above or is there something
else we can use in a automated script to check if the ldap server is
running?

Brooks Campbell
IT Manager, Waterloo CA and Hersham UK
Navtech Systems Support Inc.