sql to ldap MD5 conversion

After several failed attempts, I need some help regarding the following issue.
I need to import some users from a MySQL database to OpenLDAP.
I cannot find a working way of converting the md5 password stored in the database (using md5() ) to the {MD5} password format for Ldap.

SQL: the md5 value of 'password' is 5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99
OpenLDAP: the result of `slappasswd -h {MD5} -s password` is {MD5}X03MO1qnZdYdgyfeuILPmQ==

So obviously I won't be able to use

From what I could gather it has to do with Base64 encoding but all my
attemps at scripting something failed miserably :(
Any hint would be appreciated.