Extra character when using search filter but won't appear in the search result

Hi all,

We have a little bit of a problem here. When we tried to search in openldap with the following filter:-

(&(uid=user1)(customAttribute=somevalue))

... it returned no results. But when we use a similar filter, with an asterisk (*) appended for the 2nd attribute:-

(&(uid=user1)(customAttribute=somevalue*))

We got the result just fine. The funny thing is, the result listed customAttribute value as just 'somevalue'. We were wondering what's the extra character that's preventing us from getting the result when using the filter without the asterisk.

Have anyone encountered similar problem before?

Thanks.

Regards,
Wan Mohd Khairi Wan Mohamed
wankhairi [at] nervesis [dot] com [dot] my
http://www.nervesis.com.my