how to NOT use SASL

Hi list,

Now this is something I don't understand. TSL shouldn't require the
use of sasl, logically speaking, yet why am I getting this output?

frvdamme@osc1:~$ ldapsearch  -w dd -D
'cn=admin,dc=otec,dc=vub,dc=ac,dc=be' '(cn=admin)'  -H
ldap://localhost -x
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)
frvdamme@osc1:~$ ldapsearch  -w dd -D
'cn=admin,dc=otec,dc=vub,dc=ac,dc=be' '(cn=admin)' -x -H ldap://osc1
-x
ldap_sasl_bind(SIMPLE): Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

So the only difference is how I specify the hostname and ldapsearch
chooses to use sasl, even though I'm specifying -x. Why??

--
Frank Van Damme