Re: syncrepl: large datasets and expediting consumer's initialization

On Apr 6, 10, at 2:44 AM, masarati@aero.polimi.it wrote:
If you slapadd to the consumer the output of slapcat from the producer, the CSNs will be consistent, and no refresh will occur. Did you by chance slapadd to the consumer a fresh LDIF, with no UUID/CSN information? What -w does is simply to set the contextCSN to the latest entryCSN found in
the database.  If you slapcat from the producer, the suffix entry will
have a valid contextCSN and -w is not needed.

I'm setting up a highly available LDAP. I ran slapcat on the active LDAP server and used that as the source of slapadd for the new producer and its consumers. Every entry in the LDIF has entryUUID, creatorsName, createTimestamp, entryCSN, modifiersName, and modifyTimestamp. I expect entryUUID and entryCSN to be sufficient.

The entryCSN is eq-indexed on the producer, so syncrepl a simple filter

	entryCSN >= consumer.contextCSN

should efficiently find only new/modified entries.

After "slapadd -w", it looks like the syncrepl works quickly, but the producer's log file suggests that syncrepl (since I see the replicator's DN) is visiting a lot of entries that have not changed.

How do I determine which entries are actually returned to the syncrepl client?

Thanks again,

Paul