slow slave performance

I am trying to move from a central to a master-slave setup.  everything works, buyt as soon as I put the server in slave mode performance gets very poor.

Replication works fine.

I am running on centos 4.8 w/openldap-servers-2.2.13-12.el4_8.2

TLS is enabled, though removing it seems to make no difference.

Where should I direct my troubleshooting efforts, adn what additional information would you need to see in order to point me to the error of my ways?

Jefferson K Davis
Technology and Information Systems Manager
Standard School District
1200 North Chester Ave
Bakersfield, CA 93308