Re: Using back-ldap as a client-side proxy/cache

Ryan Steele wrote:
Hey folks,

In order to provide stability to my OpenLDAP clients in the event of a
network outage, I would like to implement some
client-side caching. I've done some research, and have concluded that nscd
is evil and should be avoided at all costs,

It's not necesarily evil, it just doesn't work...

and thus eventually settled on using back-ldap as a proxy and caching
mechanism on the clients.

And just to be clear, back-ldap is only a proxy. For caching support you must add the pcache overlay.

Ideally, clients would
query a local cache first, and if the information was not available,
back-ldap would then forward the connection on to
my root OpenLDAP server(s).

That's exactly what back-ldap+pcache will do.

However, I didn't see much information in the
admin guide with respect to such
configurations other than a reference to the back-ldap man page, and given
that I've got no real experience with setting
up back-ldap, I was wondering if somebody who did/does would have some
recommendations, advice, or knew of a good
documentation source describing this sort of setup?

Generally there's not much to set up. back-ldap needs whatever information any client would need to communicate successfully with the remote LDAP server.

The other question I have is that it seems most people use back-ldap with
slapd.conf-style configuration, versus a
cn=config type of setup. In this sort of circumstance, where one is not
configuring a full-on OpenLDAP server/replica,
that seems like it might be a good thing in the interest of keeping the
client configurations simple. Nonetheless, I
wanted to verify that it was the recommended way, since slapd.conf (in the
context of a fully fleshed-out OpenLDAP
server) is deprecated.

It only seems that most are using slapd.conf because cn=config is new and most sites with existing slapd.conf deployments haven't migrated to cn=config yet. For new installs, just use cn=config.

--
  -- Howard Chu