openldap logging setup as a non-root user

I was wondering whether it is possible to create an openldap log file as a regular user.

I have already tried editing syslog.conf with local4.* and restarting syslogd. This works fine, but requires root access and I am interested in enabling ldap logging as a non-root user.

I have compiled openldap 2.3.27 as a regular user on Redhat Enterprise Linux 5.2 with the following configuration:

./configure --prefix=/home/myuser/local/ --enable-syslog --sysconfdir=/home/myuser/local

I found some information about a "logfile" directive that can be used in slapd.conf (http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ch6/#logfile), but I do not know if it is valid.

I added the following in my slapd.conf and restarted slapd (I had already created the slapd.log file before restarting slapd):

#define the logfile
logfile /home/myuser/local/openldap/slapd.log

#define the level of detail in the logs
loglevel 256

However this configuration does not seem to work.

Any advise on this issue would be more than welcomed.

Thank you and best regards,

Kostas