Re: MirrorMode/N-Way Multi-Master Replication Clarification

----- "Howard Chu" <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

> Alan Evans wrote:
> > There is another thread "MirrorMode and chaining - are slaves
> needed?"
> > which has caused me some confusion about MirrorMode and N-Way
> > Multi-Master Replication.
> >
> > Is the difference between MirrorMode and N-Way Multi-Master the
> number
> > of nodes?  2 nodes = Mirror Mode, 3+ nodes = Multi-Master?  But both
> use
> > the exact same configuration?
> >
> > If this is the case the documentation does not make this clear at
> all
> > and using the MirrorMode directive in N-Way Multi-Master is very
> > confusing.  Why not "MirrorMode On" OR "MultiMaster On" ??
> >
> > Is there a way to use two nodes in N-Way Multi-Master replication?
>
> The key element of MirrorMode is that there is an external frontend
> that
> ensures that all writes are directed to a single server. Otherwise,
> there is
> no difference.

Should I change the docs for MM? We do writes to a single server to guarantee
writes correct? If they are both the same, should we rename MirrorMode to a different
key word?

We don't use the server URI in the MM example, maybe that section should be totally re-written
as it seems to be confusing users.

Thoughts?

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
Managing Director.

T +44 (0) 1224 279484
M +44 (0) 7930 323266
F +44 (0) 1224 824887
E ghenry@suretecsystems.com

Open Source. Open Solutions(tm).

http://www.suretecsystems.com/

Suretec Systems is a limited company registered in Scotland. Registered
number: SC258005. Registered office: 24 Cormack Park, Rothienorman, Inverurie,
Aberdeenshire, AB51 8GL.

Subject to disclaimer at http://www.suretecgroup.com/disclaimer.html