Re: openldap service stop cause database corruption

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 10:48 +0200, Antonini Gabriele wrote:
> I'm running openldap 2.3.43 on CentOS  5.3 machine (1 Xeon @2.33GHz,
> 1.5GB RAM).

I don't know about CentOS, but if it's anything like Redhat, the system
provided init scripts are very hostile to processes that don't shut down
fast enough.

The killproc() function will send a TERM, wait 100k microseconds, then
send a KILL.

You're running a large process on a low-memory machine.  I strongly
suspect CentOS isn't giving slapd enough time to shut down properly.

Instead of using the system scripts, try sending a plain kill to slapd
and timing how long it takes to shut down.  If it's more than 100
seconds, you'll either need to add memory (I'd recommend that anyway) or
stop using the CentOS init scripts to start and stop OpenLDAP.