2.3.43, and a variety of problems.

I don't know whether 2.3.43 is new enough to NOT be told to go to hell,
but it's the latest of the 2.3.x series and I can't get migrated to 2.4
until I get slurpd gone... and oddly enough, I think turning off slurpd
caused some of my problems.

This morning our two slaves and master server began experiencing bad
sync lag... the slaves were close to two or more hours behind the
master.  I discovered that a large automated job had touched over thirty
thousand entries and altered the values of a lot of attributes (it was a
course enrollment update, as it happens).

I *suspect* that the huge number of updates overflowed the syncprov
session log and the slaves moved from small updates to whole-entry
updates.  My syncprov session log was set to 500... which I think was
hideously undersized.

Am I correct in my assumption?

Stemming from that, I've noticed that trying to use LDAP to alter
anything in the cn=config tree - whether it happens to be to change the
session log size, or to add a new index - causes slapd to freeze.  Not a
true hang, as it continues to accept connections, but all operations are
deferred and pending, even though slapd's CPU usage remains low.  I can
kill and restart slapd and I'm okay.  Also, altering cn=config by
editing the on-disk ldif files while slapd is dead causes no problem.

And a third thing: does ~3h to add 250k entries to a new database, using
'slapcat -q' sound ridiculously long?