Stability of autogroup overlay with OpenLDAP < 2.4.18

Is the autogroup overlay considered stable for use with versions of OpenLDAP earlier than 2.4.18?  I know it's being
used on earlier versions (as 2.4.18 is not considered stable yet), but I've also seen some reports of basic search
functionality getting clobbered after doing so.  According to ITS#6227, that bug was fixed, but I'd like to confirm that
the overlay does at least work before investing the time (however short it may be) to compile it and package it in with
OpenLDAP locally for internal use.  I appreciate any feedback.

Regards,
Ryan